Last night I met up with my old pals Krista and Becky from Vancouver's You Say Party! We Say Die! Both ladies are huge health nuts and wonderful cooks, so as soon as they drove into Toronto from Chicago, they were eager to make some gluten-free tacos with me.
We had a slight culinary detour because our avocados were not ripe enough for guacamole, so we altered the recipe to a avocado-tomato salad that turned out deliciously. For more photos from our cooking session, check out my flickr.
Veggie 'n Gluten-Free Tacos
- Gluten-free corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp sea salt (1tsp for the beans and the 1/2 for the avocado)
- 1.5 tsp ground black pepper (1tsp for the beans and the 1/2 for the avocado)
- 1 tomato, chopped into small cubes
- 1 small red onion, chopped into small cubes
- 2 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 limes
- 1 cup of shredded cheese of your choice
Heat up a non-stick pan with oil and add black beans, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika - mash together while cooking (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
Lay corn tortillas on a cookie sheet and bake at 325F for 3-5minutes just to warm up.
In a bowl, mix together the chopped and cubed avocado, tomato, onion and cilantro and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the juice of one lime. For some heat, add your favorite hot sauce.
Add the beans and "avocado salad" to the corn tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and more lime juice.